Monday, January 18, 2016

Such a comfort food this is!!

After 5 years we finally took a two week long vacation. Spending time with our parents was the purpose and that we did! Kids enjoyed, we ate well, travelled with family, and time flew. Two weeks passed by so quickly and we came back home only to realize I am home sick and wanted to be back with my parents. On the weekend we reached back, my husband brought some fresh mutton and my post this time is about mutton roast that I prepared. 


Well, it has been two weeks since then but I am writing about it only now. I am a mother of two kids now. Newest member is my daughter who is 6 months old. I am not about to say I am busy because of that. It is a hectic schedule but I do have my time every day. Just that I never got to the laptop to start typing something. You always need a trigger to start writing, even if it is a recipe you prepared. Today my trigger is a diverted mind. An oxymoron that could be, considering you need to focus on what you are doing. May be the distraction I need is not from writing but from the standard schedule. 


Whatever be the reason, I am happy that I finally got to do this. For a long time, I never used to eat mutton except for the curry that my mom prepared. So the dish itself brings back a lot of memories and reminds me of childhood and my parents’ place. 

Recipe


Ingredients

  • Mutton – 1/2 kg (cut into cube sized pieces) 
  • Onion – 3 medium sized nos. (finely chopped)
  • Onion – 1 big no. (sliced)
  • Tomato – 1 no. (finely chopped)
  • Ginger – a small piece (finely chopped)
  • Garlic – 1 pod (finely chopped)
  • Peppercorns – 6 – 8 nos.
  • Red Chilli – 2 nos.
  • Green Chilli – 1 no. (finely chopped)
  • Shallots – 6 nos.
  • Fennel seeds – 1 tsp.
  • Cumin powder – ½ tbsp
  • Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
  • Pepper powder – 1 tbsp
  • Turmeric powder – ¼ tbsp
  • Lemon – 1 no.
  • Coriander leaves – a few sprigs (I love this herb and am usually generous with the usage of coriander leaves in my cooking)
  • Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
  • Oil – 2 tbsp
  • Salt to taste

Preparation

  • Marinade the washed mutton pieces with salt, turmeric, pepper powder, lemon juice extract and keep aside for an hour. 
    • Tip: Best is if the meat is marinated and kept overnight.
  • Heat oil (1 tbsp) in a pan. 
  • Add ginger and garlic (half). 
  • Once the color starts turning brown, add red chilli, pepper corns, fennel seeds and fry for a minute. 
  • Add the chopped onions and shallots and fry till translucent. Tip: Known to all is the fact that adding a pinch of salt while sautéing onions quickens the process. 
  • Add cumin powder and roast till the raw smell vanishes.
  • Add tomato and sauté till oil starts separating from it. 
  • Switch off the stove and let it cool. 
  • Grind this to a fine paste and keep aside.  

  • In the same pan, add the remaining oil. 
  • Once hot, add sliced onions and sauté well. 
  • Add the remaining garlic and fry it. 
  • Add green chilli and curry leaves and sauté for a minute
  • Add coriander powder and mix well. Let it cook well for about 2-3 minutes. 
  • Once the coriander powder is roasted well, add the mutton pieces and stir.
    • Tip: I always prefer small cube sized mutton pieces as they absorb the marinade well. 
  • At this stage, add the masala paste prepared earlier and mix well with mutton.
  • Add salt.
  • Keep stirring for some time and then let the mutton cook in this (do not add water now). 
  • After about 5 minutes, add ¼ cup water and cook.
    • Tip: When adding water, add hot water and in small measures. You can always add more when needed. 
  • Once the mutton is cooked to your perfection (at this stage, water added also should have reduced), add finely chopped coriander leaves. You can also add a little lemon juice extract for that extra tangy taste if you prefer. 

Garnishing note: Served with hot rice, this is such a comfort food and one that converts old memories into refreshing energizers
 J

No comments:

Post a Comment